These are lesson plans for a variety of hoop classes in different styles – dance, fitness, fun. They give you a structure and ideas for tricks and sequences to teach in each class. The appendix describes mix-and-match warm-ups/cool-downs, drills, and ideas for showtime.
The lesson plans do not cover exactly how to teach each move; that depends on your understanding of the move and your teaching style. If you aren’t sure how to explain a particular trick, check out some tutorials to see how other people teach it.
The classes are approximately 1 hour, but can be compressed or stretched as you like.
Basic Structure of The Lessons
- Introduction – announce what the class is going to teach today
- Warm-up – build intensity with static and dynamic stretches
- Drills and Practice – reinforcing and refining
- New Material
- Playtime – personal integration
- Sequence or Group work – putting it all together
- Showtime – individual or group
- Cool-down – slowing and closing
- Gratitude – a final thanks
- Square One Start from the basics for newer hoopers
- Trick Heaven 20 tricks and a sequence
- Fitness Get hot and sweaty with some cardio
- Yoga and Stretch Gentle stretching and held postures
- Dance Classics Incorporating ballroom and latin dance flavors
- Dance Play Invented movements and modern dance ideas
- Circus Style Precision and control and lots of drills
- Games for Grownups Lighthearted fun and play
- Kids Hoop Fun Stories, games, and tricks
APPENDIX: Mix & Match Class Parts
Inspirations and Sources
I have been inspired by and adapted materials from my teachers and hoop friends, including Deanne Love (Hooplovers), Ayumi Mitake (Hoop Tokyo), Rainbow Kids Yoga, Jewelz Hanssens (Jewelz-a-Hoop), Kana Mikori, Betty Lucas (HoopChi), Kike Yamakawa, Heidi Hillier, Jenny Hill (Acts of Gennius), Steve Bags, Jo Mondy (LiveLoveHoop), Cherry Typhoon, and so many people I have encountered in and out of hooping world. I am grateful for having learned all sorts of things from you!