Start from the basics with this class for new hoopers. You will need: one hoop per student. A playlist with steady beats.
This class covers hooping on the waist, walking and turning and simple off-body moves. There is an emphasis on personal, natural movement and dance.
Drills and Practice
- Reverse Current
- 4-point turns, 2-point turns, and pirouettes in both currents and directions.
Basic Hand Spins.
- One-hand spin (vertical front plane) with each hand and both hands together
- Two hand spin (vertical front plane) aka propeller.
- Orbit. Pass the hoop horizontally around the body. Both directions.
- Different levels: waist, chest, neck, knees
Lift and Lasso.
- Lasso (horizontal top plane spin) from floor or shoulder start.
- Practice with each hand and both together, and in two currents.
- Back lift with turn – super slow lift from waist hooping
- Lower hoop to waist.
- Forward weave on each hand and both hands together
- Up. Stand inside hoop, lift hoop (horizontal waist to top plane) while turning.
- Down. Lower hoop from horizontal top plane to floor while turning
- Sparkle to waist.
- Frame. Hold hoop in front. Position body with energy.
- Waist frame. Drop two hands behind spinning hoop, lift into back frame
Create a different atmosphere – lower the lights, if possible – start a new thumping dance song. Allow students to play with the things they have learned. This is a good time to walk around and give encouragement and personal assistance.
Work together to create a short sequence using the tricks introduced. Here is a sample:
- Waist hoop
- 2-point turn
- Sparkle up