The Japan Tricks Showcase is a charity video to raise funds for the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami relief efforts. All Japan-based hoopers are invited to contribute an original hoop trick. Please see the Call to Play for details.
I’d never created my own trick until recently. It was really fun! A few people have told me they want to be in the video, but don’t think they can come up with anything original. I know you can! Here are some ideas to help you if you are new to original tricks, too.
- Pick a name first, then match the movement to the name;
- Create a fresh variation on a trick you already know by adding an arm or leg movement, for example;
- Mash two or more tricks into one motion;
- Get together with friends and create a group trick.
And then there are ways to explore the motions themselves:
- What if you dance while you do a trick you already know?
- What if you jump in the middle of a familiar trick?
- What if you spin in the opposite direction?
- Can you speed it up or slow it down?
- Can you repeat it symmetrically or continuously?
- What happens if you do it with multiple hoops?
- Can you use two hoops doing different things?
- Can you do that trick on your hand, knees or neck?
And some other thoughts and tips:
- Playful experimentation is delightful fun
- Video your attempts and watch for interesting shapes and motions
- Think about the transitions between tricks – they can be tricks themselves
- Weird mistakes can turned into smooth or funky moves