On Sunday afternoon during Spin Matsuri, world-class poi sensei, YUTA, will teach us the basics of poi spinning and how to make flowers and other patterns that can be translated to hoops so you’ll need a pair of poi to play with. You can buy them, but they are easy to make yourself!
makes one pair of practice poi
- 1 pair long socks, striped, patterned, or gorgeous.
- 2 pairs of socks, old worn out ones are perfect
- Lay out the long socks side by side.
- Roll the other socks to make two balls of equal size and weigh.
- Slip one sock ball into the toe of one long sock.
- Tie a knot at the top opening of each long sock.
- Serve with smiles.
Note: You can use rubber balls, tennis balls, beanbags or balloons filled with rice instead of old socks in your poi.
Check out this video from Poi Community that shows sock poi and some other constructions!